Strategic Priorities and Performance Outcomes
In September 2010, City Council unanimously endorsed eight strategic initiatives for the City of Newport News. Those were refined in December 2012 into five broad strategic priorities to guide city operations.
- Economic Development & Redevelopment: Newport News is a place that promotes the expansion of economic activity throughout its various commercial corridors, provides economic opportunities for its residents, has a diverse tax base, fosters a healthy climate for new and existing businesses, and supports our schools.
- Environmentally Sustainable Local Government Policies: Newport News is a sustainable community that promotes energy efficiency, reduces pollutants, and protects our natural resources and green space for future generations.
- Community Maintenance & Renewal: Newport News is a place that strengthens neighborhoods by connecting families to community resources and healthy lifestyle opportunities; Newport News is a place that reinvests in and preserves its neighborhoods by confronting the persistent problems of urban deterioration with stronger maintenance codes, housing rehabilitation programs, home ownership programs, low interest loan programs, property acquisition and infill development.
- Fiscal Management & Efficient Operations: Newport News is a place that carefully monitors revenue collections and expenditures to ensure a financially healthy organization. The City is a place with seamless and responsive service delivery.
- Maximum Emphasis on Public Safety: Newport News is a place where citizens and visitors are safe and feel confident that a response will be there at all times.