Newport News Back to Business Grant
To ensure the resiliency of local businesses, the City of Newport News and the Economic Development Authority of Newport News, Virginia (EDA) have established the Newport News Back to Business Grant to provide grants to eligible small businesses impacted by COVID-19.
This grant is one-time financial assistance given to eligible for-profit small businesses, excluding franchises and national chains, in amounts not to exceed $5,000. There is a limited amount of funds for this program. The grants will be committed and funded on a first-come, first-served basis based upon availability of funds, program guidelines and submission of a complete application and supporting documentation. Businesses that received grant funds under the Newport News COVID-19 Small Business Resiliency Grant are not eligible to receive the Newport News Back to Business Grant.
A business may qualify for consideration provided it meets all of the following:
- Must be located in Newport News, Virginia
- Must have been established and operational prior to January 1, 2020 and have a current Newport News business license.
- Must be in good standing with local taxes and licenses
- Had 50 or fewer employees as of March 1, 2020
- Had $5 million or less in annual gross receipts during calendar year 2019.
- Must not have received funds under the Newport News COVID-19 Small Business Resiliency Grant
- Adult-entertainment businesses are not eligible for funding
Refer to the program guidelines to obtain details about the use of funds and required documentation.
How to Apply
You will need the following information and documentation available in electronic form to upload when completing the application:
- Federal/Tax ID Number
- List of full-time equivalent positions as of March 1, 2020 and as of date of application
- Financial statement for 2019
- Documentation to support use of funds (i.e. lease agreement, utility bills, invoices etc.)
- Valid government issued identification (i.e. Passport, Drivers’ License etc.)
- W-9 (REV – October 2018)
Applications may be submitted, using the online application portal, beginning at 9:00 AM on Monday, July 20, 2020 through 5:00 PM Friday, August 14, 2020.
If you have any questions regarding the guidelines, application process or need assistance completing the application, contact Priscilla Green with the Department of Development at (757) 509-2587 or email@example.com.