Backflow & Cross-Connections
Backflow is the undesirable reversal of flow of non-potable water or other substance into the public water system or consumer's potable water system.
Any connection between a public water system or consumer's potable water system and non-potable water or other substance. An example is the public water system and a homeowner's landscape irrigation system.
Only through cross-connection controls and backflow prevention can we be assured that other sources are not contaminating our water system.
Backflow Prevention Assembly Testers
In order to remain on, or be added to the backflow prevention assembly testers list that is mailed with our test forms, testing companies will need to submit the following required information annually, and upon special request:
- Current Business License
- Valid Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation (DPOR) Backflow Prevention Device Worker certification or a DPOR approved Backflow Prevention Device Worker School certification for each employee who will be conducting testing with in Newport News Waterworks Department service area.
- Proof of valid test kit calibrations certificate.
- Provide Business Name, Phone Number, and City as this information will be printed on the list.
Failure to comply with the listed requirements or 18VAC50-22-260 (DPOR prohibited acts) will be cause for removal from our backflow prevention assembly testers list.
In the event that the list is at full capacity, testing companies will be placed on our waiting list, and placed on the list as space permits.
- Avoiding Violation Status - Please help reduce testing violations by submitting the customer's test forms upon completion of testing, including failed devices, to:
Newport News Waterworks Cross Connection Control
425 Industrial Drive
Newport News, VA 23608 or by emailing email@example.com.
- We only accept accurate, complete, and original test form(s). Our software generates controlled numbers for each testable device. If you do not have the correct test forms, please call our office at 757-234-4885 or 757-234-4888 to receive them.
- For new installations and replacement devices only, please use the Backflow Test Form (PDF) below.